Macaroni with Ground Beef
Macaroni with Ground Beef is easy and similar to a quick Bolognese sauce, but it contains a lot more vegetables, like onions, garlic, carrots, celery, tomatoes. I admit, we are the biggest Bolognese sauce fans, but we like to make it like Italians, traditionally. Cooking the sauce for many hours and giving it a lot of attention. However, a lot of times, that’s hard to do during the week and so when we crave a good bolognese pasta, this is our cheaty, go-to version.
This macaroni recipe is truly divine. The sauce melts in your mouth and it’s so full of flavor, yum. We used macaroni in this recipe because we love the texture and we love to eat this dish with a spoon, as that’s the best way to eat comfort foods, am I right? We used whole canned tomatoes in this recipe, but you can use fresh chopped tomatoes mixed with some homemade tomato sauce too, but since the tomatoes aren’t in season right now, we used the canned version. You can also use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork for this recipe if that’s what you prefer.
Here are the necessary ingredients as well as the preparation steps.
Ingredients for Macaroni with Ground Beef:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 350 g ground beef (chuck) (12.4 oz)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400 g canned whole tomatoes (1 tin can or 14.1 oz or 2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 240 g macaroni
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (+ for sprinkling)
- 60 g grated cheese (mixture of Cheddar and Mozzarella) (1/2 cup)
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil, diced onion, chopped garlic, chopped celery and chopped carrot.
- Stir to combine and cook for about 5 minutes, for the veggies to become soft and the onion translucent. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place the skillet back on the high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and ground beef.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the meat is brown and beautifully caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Add balsamic vinegar, stir to combine.
- Return the vegetables to the ground beef,
- Add the canned tomatoes, 1 cup of water, bay leaf, dried oregano, black pepper (to taste) and cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the macaroni according to instructions on the package.
- When the macaroni are cooked, drain them and reserve 50 ml of cooking water.
- Season the Ground Beef sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add a tablespoon of chopped parsley and stir to combine.
- Remove the bay leaf and add the cooked macaroni and reserved water. Stir to combine.
- Arrange the grated cheese on top,
Yummy Yummy …!
- Cover with a lid and cook over very low heat for about 2 – 3 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Divide between four plates and serve.
RECIPES YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Chinese Macaroni with Ground Beef
- Our best Italian stir-fried chicken recipe
- Light cherry and almond milk smoothie
- Moroccan semolina with yogurt and almond